Wednesday, June 13, 2007

3rd Chemo - Pump Removed

Karen's doing well. She had the chemo pump removed today and got a shot of Neulasta to take tomorrow. It's in the fridge next to some yogurt.

Grandma and Aunt Brenda took the kids to the aquarium yesterday. They had a blast, (even the kids enjoyed it) and Karen slept most of the day. Taking the kids during chemo weeks is SUCH a big help. It's better on Karen and just as importantly it's better on them too so thanks for that guys.

K's taking Compazine again (the tongue paralyser) but with Benadryl and it seems to be working. The side effect is complete exhaustion but at least she can keep food down which is important. She's taking a bunch of other stuff that I was going to post but I think I'll skip it.

Two more things tonight: First a funny story that'll give you some insight into Karen's strength. The other day whilst sitting through chemo, Karen left the room to meet with Dr Moriarty. They keep you hooked up to the IV whilst you have your consultation. Once her exam was done she wheeled the IV back into the center of the chemo room and announced to all present "Well....I'm CURED!!!" to which the entire room burst into laughter. Contrary to what you'd think the chemo room is quite an upbeat hang-out.

Lastly, I called the hospital today to inquire as to K's CEA level. It's down to 356. I'm tracking it in a notebook so to-date the progression has been 628 then 511 after 1 chemo, now 356 after 2. This is a very good sign that we are out-pacing the cancer.

I'm going to sneak out now and get her some MaryJanes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear your family members are helping out immensely. Also, I don't know what MaryJanes are, but they sounds like a snack? LOL. Good luck and fortunes to karen and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Francis,
A sign of relief for me too to see Karen fighting back and hard... I remember you wrote in one of your post about kicking cancer's ass.... You are doing it great man... Keep us all posted....

Anonymous said...

Hang in there guys and there will be a time that Karen can say "I'm cured" and mean it.

Warm regards,

Adam

Anonymous said...

Weird thing, I just said on another friend's website that Mary Janes were always the Halloween Candy Nobody Ate in our house...

So this year I'll know where to send our post-Oct 31 pile o' Mary Janes!!

be strong, we are rooting for you!

peace,
Kristin, G's mom