Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Floatin' Along

I have been encouraged by some of my peeps to update my blog so I shall. There really isn't much to report just yet so thus, I haven't reported.

But as things stand now we are ct scanning, mri-ing, and watching my cea numbers looking for the outcome of the cryoablation. Essentially it takes a good 3 months until you can see somewhat of a definitive result from the procedure. Does the tumor appear necrotic or "dead" on the scans? Is my blood work looking good? How am I feeling in general? These things help determine the outcome of the cryoablation procedure.

As it happens tomorrow March 18th I will be having another mri. During the mri they will inject the "stuff" or contrast. If my tumor picks it up well (essentially if it is alive then the tumor soaks up the stuff and is very distinct on the scan) then the tumor is still viable (alive), if it does not, it does not "soak up the stuff," and is difficult to detect on the films and then it is more reasonable to believe it is dead.

We are doing this to still try and make sure that it makes sense to do the cyberknife now. You can't treat the same area twice with the cyberknife, so if we decide to go ahead, not being assured if the tumor is necrotic or not, we could be, and would be, wasting a tool in our arsenal, so to speak. So we are all trying to make sure there is something there to "zap" and in a nutshell that takes time.

In the meantime, I have been feeling totally fine. I am working out 2-3 days a week and just trying to enjoy this time of quiet. The kids are doing great and loving school and life as they should and we are enjoying them.

Thanks guys for all your support as always. It is never taken for granted. I have been praying for all who pray for me, I have been doing the rosary during lent and including you all in my prayers.

I really want to also take this time to let everyone know that March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month. Please, if you are 50 and over get a colonoscopy. It can save your life. If you are under 50 and feel signs and symptoms, such as rectal bleeding, dark tar-like stools, bloating, constipation etc. fight to get a colonoscopy done. Especially if there is a family history. Cancer as we all know is no joke but colon cancer is preventable, treatable, BEATABLE!!!

Enjoy your family and friends and don't sweat the small stuff. You won't remember what it was in a week, what you were fretting over. Life can be hard, and very unfair, but it can also be great, beautiful and should be lived and enjoyed!


With much love,
Karen

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hang in there Karen.. know it is hard... but you have to..

Anonymous said...

Thanks Karen for update. It is uplifting to hear the good news delivered in such a happy vibrant spirit. May you continue to be blessed with resilence and good health. Lovingly Jo (Tipp.)

Anonymous said...

i very much adore your writing choice, very helpful.
don't quit and keep writing in all honesty , because it simply very well worth to look through it,
excited to see additional of your current stories, good bye!

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I am so glad that you are doing good and I pray that you will continue too always.

I just got diagnosed with breast cancer, and it feels like surreal.

We have been going through hell and back with my beautiful little sister, and my family did not need this. She had her cat scan and as everyone dealing with cancer knows it is a nightmare until you get the results. I hope and pray to God that we get good news.

My tumor is 9.7cm, I can not believe that I did not see or feel anything. My last two mammograms were perfectly clear, where did this come from and how ignorant was I not too see it until it got so big????

I am scared, but as with my sister, I put myself into God's hands..whatever God wants for me I will follow.

Please take care of yourself and enjoy your beautifu family.

Lots of love and prayers,
Mirjana

teresa loughnane said...

Karen,
You are a constant inspiration to me. You're absolutely right about the important things in life. When it comes down to it family and health are what matters. Keep up the good fight. Hope the scan results are good. Lots of love from your irish family.
Teresa x